Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Is it St. Patrick's Day yet?

And why would I be wondering this, you might ask? Well, for two reasons (ok, 3): last year, I missed St. Paddy's Day because I was having my meniscus and ACL surgically repaired at Creighton Hospital and was pretty drugged up on opiates that night; March 17th is about the time I'll be finishing my last rotation in Omaha (and, as such, moving out of Nebraska); and it will be a great time for me to reminisce about my recently completed trip to Ireland!

















Anyway, today has been a day of good news. I finally heard back from the University of Iowa's Community Pharmacy Residency program, and have only to let him know what day I'd like to interview, and which of their sites I'd like to interview at, and he'll set it up. I feel about 100% better knowing that I have at least two interviews now, and the fact that Iowa has 7 different positions available (as compared to Cub/U of M's one position), making my chances of getting a residency that much more likely. Happy days!

So, to celebrate receiving that phone call, I decided that instead of treating myself with a few drinks and maybe feeling crappy tomorrow, that instead I'd head to the gym for a good hour's workout. Great idea! I sort of did a full body lifting session with a little cardio thrown in to get my heart rate up, and I felt fantastic afterward. Only two more days left in this week, too, with a fun weekend to look forward to - hanging out with Amy in Omaha for the first time in quite awhile.

Speaking of her, she started classes on Tuesday, and I couldn't be more proud of her for taking the plunge and going back to school. She's decided on a challenging career path - PA, or at least something related in health care - and the class load she has, including Biochem, Advanced Bio, and Inorganic Chem, will be tough, but hey, with me at her disposal, how can she do wrong? But seriously, I am sure she'll do well and am very excited for her.

I saw the commercial with Sarah McLachlan tonight for AACPA (?), in which you donate $18/month to help save one rescued stray animal. The pictures and music are almost too much, and it made me want to go to an animal shelter this weekend just to play with the dogs they have. I can't wait until I move so that I will have the opportunity to live in a place that allows dogs! That, along with getting a new car, is a major goal of mine this summer.

Going back to my Ireland thought - I think that I'm going to intersperse my thoughts on the trip in here, and luckily my mom and I wrote emails to family on a near-daily rate, so I'll have that to refer to should pictures not be enough to job my memory. But I think I'll be ok - I can still recall almost everything Dane and I did in Europe 1 1/2 yrs ago. It will be fun to rewrite our adventure, and this time I won't have Mom staring over my shoulder as I type! (just kidding, Mom...)

I was looking at average workweeks the world over, and how great would it be to work in a country such as the Netherlands or Denmark? Their workers average 400 hours/year less than their American counterparts. Now, a lot of this is probably due to the relatively high amount of paid leave, which varies from 4 to 6 weeks throughout Western Europe. Sign me up! Progress be damned! Is it any wonder that the Dutch and Danes both rank in the top 5 of the international "happy citizen index." Americans, sadly, fall far behind their European counterparts in this ranking. I'm not surprised...though I luckily can consider myself to be above average in that department.

In fact, I was talking about this fact earlier tonight - moving to Europe for awhile, say a year or so, to work and immerse yourself in another culture. Sounds fun to me - it's just the logistics of doing something like this in a field like pharmacy, where I'm under the impression that it'd be pretty difficult. Well, who knows what the future will hold, but it sure sounds like something I'd enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment