Monday, January 11, 2010

Back hOm-aha

Five weeks - FIVE weeks - I still can't believe my amazing adventure of vacation is over. Some people don't take 5 weeks of vacation in 5 years. I took it consecutively. First off, I feel bad for them - for them, work is life, whether that's completely necessitated by having to work to simply eat or have shelter or not. But for me - jobless, and with five weeks of break from pharmacy school rotations - why not?

Of course - the problem is, slightly, that I really checked out from the world of pharmacy for that time period. Problem is, I should have finished my pharmacy residency applications weeks ago. And I still haven't. No stress = I'm not getting them done. However, tonight the gears have finally clicked, and like I seem to do, I'm getting it done and will have them done on time.

So, after trying to get back to Omaha for a week - I'm finally here. And already missing Minneapolis, of course. I feel as if I'm pretty much checked out of Omaha mentally already, really. Of course, I don't know where I'll be come May - it completely depends on where I get a residency. My hope is to get a residency in Mpls and find a place there during my rotation in Waconia in March-April, but we'll see where the chips may fall.

The best news to come out of the past five weeks stems from the fact that I was able to spend most of that time with Amy. I have never, ever felt like this about anyone, and you can throw any cliche you want at it - and I won't - but I am excited about our future, I will say that. :)

Why the title, you ask? Well, I've more or less been aiming at, or dreaming, of reaching the point of in my life that I'm currently at. It's come with a ton of hard work, a lot of support from friends and mostly family, some very good happenstance and luck, and some decisions full of foresight on my part. I really couldn't ask for anything more at this point - well, of course, there is much more I look forward to accomplishing in my life - but at this very moment, I could not be much happier. As I look forward, of course questions remain for the near future - Will I have a residency come July 1st? If so, where will it be? Will I enjoy it? And if the residency idea doesn't fly and I'm "forced" into finding a community pharmacy job, where will that be?

In altogether honesty, I'm pretty confident about myself being happy, no matter how these questions are eventually answered. I've learned to make the most out of just about any situation I've been thrown into during my life, and I don't intend to change when it comes to that.

In the meantime - I need to finish writing and proofreading my letters so that I can send them in on time, and *hopefully* catch the eye of a few residency directors enough to be invited for interviews. If you've seen Inglourious Basterds, you'll know what I mean when I say "Arrivederci" and good night.

1 comment:

  1. Arrivederci to you, too! So happy you love Amy, she's pretty cool. :)

    ReplyDelete