Monday, May 10, 2010

Great Pics

I realized as I was surfing today how much I love coming across random beautiful photographs of nature and cityscapes from around the world. And with that, I decided it'd be fun to introduce you (and myself) to random photos of places you may or may not have heard of from 'round this incredible planet. Here's one I came across today that blew me away-


This is the Fenda de Tunavala ("hole" in the Tunavala precipice) in Angola. I guess it's fairly rare to have a cloudless shot of this place, since it's so near the Atlantic Ocean that most of the time it's shrouded in mist. It's 4,600 feet from top to bottom - yes, of nearly sheer cliffside. Angola is certainly a nation that I can't say is near the top of my list, or even my African to-do list, but would definitely be a place worth visiting! (make sure to click on the picture to show it in full-size format)


This, however, is absolutely on a must-do list. It's Cappadocia, Turkey, a karst landscape in which people have lived IN for centuries. There are thousands of natural caves in these rocks due to their soft nature, and many more that are man-made. You can even stay in them because some ingenious entrepreneurs decided it'd be a good idea to build some hotels inside them. The other big draw of Cappadocia is the abundance of hot air balloon operators in the area that take advantage of the incredible landscape.


One more place you've likely not heard of are the Phi Phi Islands off the coast of Thailand. They're world-renowned for their rock climbing. Images like this always make me think of southern China or Vietnam, but apparently these rock formations exist in Thailand, too. My friend Rob Greenfield recently tripped through Thailand and saw sights very similar to this one. Even if I didn't go for the rock climbing, the photography opportunities alone would make it worth it! Throw in a warm climate, beautiful seas, and a great exchange rate, and I say let's go!

I plan on keeping up with this and posting more interesting pictures of places you may not have heard of in the future, so keep checking back!

1 comment:

  1. awwww man, I would give anything to be swimming in that water right now!!!

    ReplyDelete