Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Grrrreat!

The best start to a day, in my mind, is to a) have a great breakfast with a bunch of coffee after sleeping to your heart's content (though not too late..) and b) getting in a great workout after letting your stomach settle.

Well, that's exactly what I was able to do today. After slumbering for awhile this AM, I brewed a fresh pot of Kona blend coffee (my new favorite) and then set to cooking up a delicious scramble. I used 3 jumbo eggs to start. Then, I chopped up 1/2 a ripe Roma tomato, some sweet onion, and cubed some pepperjack cheese. I also cut up some chicken teriyaki bites I'd bought from the store, and added some diced BBQ chicken to boot. I scrambled it all up, then added some medium red salsa, and mixed that in too. It was fantastic! I was thinking I might need some toast with peanut butter to complement it, but that was not necessary. Even got to watch some morning Sportscenter to go along with it.

A little later, after doing some fantasy baseball analysis and making plans for later in the day, I decided it was high time I go for a run. The weather wasn't really cooperating, so I headed for my apartment complex's small gym, which includes a pretty decent treadmill and a TV. I wasn't sure exactly how far i was going to go, I just knew that I wasn't going to pay attention to it (i.e. covering up the distance marker). After 3.5 miles, I was feeling pretty good, but just didn't really feel like running for much longer, so I went ahead and more or less sprinted the last 1/2 mile. Needless to say, sweat was flyin'. It felt fantastic, and my head is in a great place right now. It's a shame I don't exercise in the morning more often, but I'm just in the habit of doing so in the late afternoon or evening, depending on my schedule. And I know that once I start with my residency, there's no way I make it a habit of getting up at 5:45 to go for a jog or lift weights...or is there?

No comments:

Post a Comment